top of page
Rev & Inspec.JPG

Revenue & Inspections Department


This office handles licensing, permitting, inspections and nuisance.


Business License purchase and renewal information can be found HERE.

Office hours : Monday - Friday from 8:00am to 11:00am

Contact us at


If you are developing property, remodeling, or modifying land and/or structures located within the City of Riverside, several steps will be required:

1. A Zoning Certificate is required for any property located in a zoned area if:

- A structure will be built on or added to the property.

- If square footage will be added to or modified on an existing structure.

- If there will be a change in the use of an existing structure.

- Other projects that may require a Land Use Certificate.

A Zoning Certificate Application can be fond on the Forms page.

The Zoning Certificate must be applied for and issued BEFORE applying for the building permit.

Still not sure if the property requires a Zoning Certificate, contact us at

2. Purchase of contractors Business License and Building Permit.

3. Approved sewer or sanitation permit from the St. Clair County Health Department.

4. Apply for rezoning, conditional use or variance if the desired property use or design is not in line with the

    City Zoning Ordinance. To apply, contact us at

5. Once you have an approved building permit, you may apply for any additional building permits such as     

    electrical, plumbing, mechanical, gas, etc., as required by the project.

5. Inspections of all construction projects will be performed for conformance to applicable 2015 International

     Building Codes.

6. Upon completion of construction and a passed final inspection, you will receive the Certificate of Occupancy.

    Under no circumstances may a new construction be occupied without a Certificate of Occupancy

All Forms can be found on the Forms page of our website.

All work shall comply with 2015 International Building Code

- To schedule an inspection, complete an Inspections Request at least 48 hours in advance -

It shall be unlawful and no person shall commence any type of construction of any commercial nor residential building, within the City of Riverside, without first obtaining a building permit from the City of Riverside prior to beginning any part of the construction.


No Permit can be issued without first obtaining a Business License.

All contractors, subcontractors and others performing work or services in the city shall purchase a business license prior to beginning any work.


The following requirements shall be adhered to prior to beginning any work:


Permit request requirements, to be submitted to the Building Inspector or their designee:

  1. A completed City of Riverside permit application.

  2. The required number of complete building plans: residential one(1); commercial three (3).

  3. A copy of the plat or site plan indicating the proposed location of the structure to be built on the site.

  4. Approval from the county health department for an approved septic tank and field lines if the structure is to be in an area in which public sewer is not available unless the structure will not require a septic tank and filed lines.

  5. All curb cuts require approval by the Code Enforcement Officer prior to the work being performed. All curb cuts along any State right-of-way require a permit from the Alabama Department of Transportation (ALDOT).


Job site requirements:

  1. The building permit shall be displayed in a prominent place on the building site.

  2. Toilet facilities for workers, employees, subcontractors and others is required to be placed on site at the beginning of construction unless such facilities are otherwise available.

  3. A complete list of all contractors, subcontractors, suppliers or others that will be providing labor, contract services or materials to the job site must be provided to the Code Enforcement Officer, to include the complete name, business name, address, phone number and contract amount within 15 days of the permit issuance or 3 days from hiring, whichever first occurs.

  4. Road cuts for utilities of any type are prohibited. Application for waiver may be made to the Code Enforcement Officer. Any waiver requires a bond from a sufficient surety to guarantee repair to any roads or other City property damaged by the road cut.

  5. Spillage on the public roadway of materials shall be removed immediately and may be subject to an assessment for hazard materials clean up and removal by City employees.

  6. Trash bins, dumpsters, receptacles and similar storage units for trash and garbage shall be located in a suitable and safe location and shall be of sufficient size for trash and garbage that will likely be generated by the project. Location of such trash bins on the streets is prohibited.

  7. Mud, dirt or gravel shall not be tracked onto the public roadway from the site.

  8. In no event shall the project create a drainage problem for the adjacent land owners. A certified engineer's drainage plan may be required. All surface water runoff and control of silt from the worksite shall be maintained by the contractor.

  9. Work sites are to be kept in an orderly and clean manner.


Revenue & Inspections Department

Riverside City Hall

379 Depot Street

Riverside, Alabama 35135

bottom of page