Originally founded in 1882, and known as Readmon, the name was changed to Riverside and incorporated in 1886. For many years it was St. Clair County's largest industrial center. Logging, saw mills, milling and egg products being the primary reasons. The Coleman Ferry, crossing the Coosa river, played a major role in this area's transportation system. It remained in operation until the Bankhead Bridge became toll-free in 1937. The W.A. Coleman house, in its original condition, dates back to 1848 and is a period landmark in Riverside. One of the town's many advantages is it's abundant supply of pure water. It is perhaps one of the finest water supplies for its people than any town in Alabama, and maybe in America. In fact, the National Rural Water Association , in 2001, named the Riverside water system as the best tasting water in America.
In 1964, both the main part of town and the Southern Railroad were raised 14.2 feet to allow for the influx of water back up due to the construction of Logan Martin Dam. Riverside is a town of rolling hills, mountain views, water recreation and a great place to live.
The picture to the right is of the old "riverside brickyard" that operated in Riverside at the turn of the Century. The estimated date of this photograph is 1905 - 1912.The gentleman standing is Oscar B. Morris, the owner and president of the business. The gentleman sitting down is his brother and co-owner, Mercer Morris. The lady sitting to Mercer's left is Mary Morris, his wife. The lady in the middle is unknown.