2020 Municipal Election
City of Riverside
MUNICIPAL CANDIDACY INFORMATION
The Municipal Election for Mayor and five City Council districts will be held Tuesday, August 25, 2020. If necessary, a Run-Off Election will be held Tuesday, October 6, 2020.
Upcoming Important Dates:
- MAY 25, 2020:
* Last day for the council to change its district lines. §11-46-23.
* Last day for the council to change the location of or add designated voting places. See §17-6-4(d).
* Last day a person can become a resident of the municipality and district in order to become a candidate.
§§ 11-46-24(b), 11-46-25(g), 11-43-63.
- JUNE 26, 2020:
*First day to conduct a training school for officials who will conduct an election using electronic voting machines. §17-8-9.
- JULY 7, 2020: First Day Potential Candidates may Qualify.
- JULY 21, 2020: at 5:00pm - Last Day Potential Candidates may Qualify.
- AUGUST 10, 2020:
* Last day for the council to appoint election officials. §11-46-27.
* Last day to register to vote for the municipal general election. §§17-3-50, 11-46-38.
- AUGUST 20, 2020:
* Last day for a voter to apply for a regular absentee ballot. §17-11-3(a).
* Last day, up to the close of business, for a voter to hand-deliver absentee ballot. §§17-11-3(c), 17-11-18.
* If an absentee ballot is returned by mail, it must be postmarked by August 24 and received by noon the day of the election. §§17-11-3(c), 17-11-18.
- For more important dates see the Municipal Elections Calendar
Notice of Election: The qualification period for candidates will begin on Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 8:00am and ends on Tuesday, July 21, 2020 at 5:00pm.
- Candidates qualify through the City Clerk’s Office at City Hall during onsite business hours.
- The qualification fee for candidates seeking election will be set by July 2, 2020.
- During the qualification period, candidates pay their qualification fee and file their Statement of Candidacy form with the City Clerk.
- Candidates must also file a Statement of Economic Interests form with the Alabama Ethics Commission(AEC)
simultaneously with the date the candidate files his or her Statement of Candidacy with the City Clerk.
For more information on the Statement of Economic Interests form or to complete it online go to
https://ethics-form.alabama.gov/ or contact the AEC at 334.242.2997. Candidates who already have a current
Statement of Economics Interests form on file with the Ethics Commission do not have to file a duplicate
statement at qualification. If online access is not available, paper forms will be available at the City Clerk’s
Office during the qualification period.
- All candidates must be a registered voter of the municipality at the time of qualification and must have been a
resident of the municipal district they seek to serve for at least 90 days prior to the election.
- The Fair Campaign Practices Act (FCPA) sets out rules for how and when candidates can raise and spend
money. The law also specifies how campaign finance activities are reported. It is the candidate’s responsibility
to comply with the FCPA.
The newly elected administration will assume office on Monday, November 2, 2020.
For additional information:
Alabama Ethics Commission - 334-242-2997 - www.ethics.alabama.gov
Secretary of State’s Office/Election Division - 334-242-7210 or 1-800-274-8683 - www.sos.alabama.gov
Riverside City Clerk’s Office at 205.338.7692 ext 4 or