2016 Municipal Election
CITY of RIVERSIDE
MUNICIPAL CANDIDACY INFORMATION
The Municipal Election for Mayor and five City Council districts will be held Tuesday, August 23, 2016.
If necessary, a Run-Off Election will be held Tuesday, October 4, 2016.
The qualification period for candidates will begin on Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 8:00 a.m. and end on
Tuesday, July 19, 2016 at 5:00pm
- Candidates qualify through the City Clerk’s Office at City Hall.
- The qualification fee for candidates seeking election as Mayor is $50.00.
- The qualification fee for candidates seeking election as a City Council member is $50.00.
- During the qualification period, candidates pay their qualification fee and file their Statement of Candidacy form with the City Clerk.
- Candidates must also file a Statement of Economic Interests form with the Alabama Ethics Commission simultaneously with the date the candidate files his or her Statement of Candidacy with the City Clerk. For more information on the Statement of Economic Interests form or to complete it online go to
https://ethics-form.alabama.gov/ or contact the AEC at 334.242.2997. Candidates who already have a current Statement of Economics Interests form on file with the Ethics Commission do not have to file a duplicate statement at qualification. Forms will be available at the City Clerk’s Office during the qualification period.
- All candidates must be a registered voter of the municipality at the time of qualification and must have been a resident of the municipal district they seek to serve for at least 90 days prior to the election.
- The Fair Campaign Practices Act (FCPA) sets out rules for how and when candidates can raise and spend money. The law also specifies how campaign finance activities are reported. It is the candidate’s responsibility to comply with the FCPA.
The newly elected administration will assume office on Monday, November 7, 2016.
For additional information:
Alabama Ethics Commission - 334-242-2997 - www.ethics.alabama.gov
Secretary of State’s Office/Election Division - 334-242-7210 or 1-800-274-8683 - www.sos.alabama.gov
Riverside City Clerk’s Office at 205.338.7692 ext 6 or firstname.lastname@example.org